Do you all remember when I partnered up with Master Lock to let you know about the great sweepstakes they were having at the time? Well, now here's part two: a review of their 1590D Precision Dial Set-Your-Own-Combination Lock ("Precision Dial") and their 1500iD Speed Dial Set-Your-Own-Combination Lock ("Speed Dial").
The precision dial uses the format of a traditional rotary dial padlock (the kind we're all used to seeing on lockers, where the user spins the wheel to enter the combination). But it has a few important differences from the locks we're used to seeing on lockers!
First and foremost, the rotary dial includes not only numbers (one through nine), but also a selection of ten different letters (A, D, E, H, J, L, N, R, S, T). Even better is that the user has the option to set his or her own password (a combination of any three numbers/letters). I absolutely love this option, because it makes it infinitely easier to remember my combination! I can't even tell you how many times I remember students at my high school forgetting their PE locker combos and having to walk into the coach's office with their tails between their legs to get their combinations reset - talk about embarrassing! Luckily, this never happened to me, but I would always have to rack my brain, and I carried my combo on a slip of paper in my backpack, which could have been bad news if it fell into the wrong hands.
With the Precision Lock, I wouldn't have to resort to doing that, because I could set my password to something I could never forget. Some examples of memorable passwords could be birthdays, initials, or fun words. And even if the password was forgotten, this lock includes an easy-to-use password reset tool. How cool is that?
As an added bonus, the lock comes in a variety of colors (pink, black, blue, and green) to suit any individual style. This is perfect for junior high and high school students, for whom it is especially important to display their individual style as they develop and refine their sense of self. I was sent the hot pink color, which I can see being a big hit among many girls.
My only small complaint is that the dial can sometimes be a little tough to turn. On the other hand, I suppose it's good that it doesn't move too easily, as that could make it difficult to stop on the correct number/letter. I guess that's why they call it the Precision Lock! It also clicks as it reaches each new number/letter and there are two arrows to show which number/letter is currently selected, so there's no question as to whether you've selected the correct one.
The Precision Dial is very cool, but the Speed Dial is my favorite! I don't know why no one has thought of this before. This lock opens on directional movements (up, down, left, right) instead of a standard rotary dial, and it is so much easier to operate!
In sixth grade, before entering junior high, we had to spend a week learning and practicing how to open standard rotary dial locks, so we would be able to do it on our own once we entered seventh grade. With the Speed Dial, there would be no need for this - it's foolproof. There's no learning curve whatsoever, just push up for up, down for down, etc. Even for those who are proficient in opening rotary dial locks, the Speed Dial would be a huge time saver.
It can be operated easily with just one hand - perfect for students who always seem to have textbooks, cell phones, or water bottles to carry around in one of their hands. It's so nice to not have to transfer items or set them down on the ground while trying to deal with a standard lock. Plus, the lock can even be opened without looking at it, since you don't need to see the dial to operate it. This lock would be an ideal solution for visually impaired users.
The Speed Dial is all about customization. The user can choose his or her own combination, which, like with the Precision Dial, ensures that the password will not be easily forgotten. Plus, the combination can be of any length; choose a shorter password for convenience or a longer one for extra security. If the user prefers, the directional arrows can be covered up with any the included decals of letters, numbers, and shapes, to add an extra element of memorability. And like the Precision Dial, the Speed Dial also comes in several colors (red, blue, white, and black with chrome).
I love knowing that my locks are crafted by such a reputable brand as Master Lock. Both locks seem extraordinarily strong and durable, and they both include anti-shim technology to prevent the break-ins that can occur with other locks. I also love that Master Lock has set up Combolocker.com, where users can go to store multiple combinations in a secure database that can be accessed anytime - so they never have to worry about losing their combination again! I never thought I could be so impressed with something like a combination lock, but Master Lock has really gone above and beyond with these locks. They've won me over!
The 1590D Precision Dial Set-Your-Own-Combination Lock ("Precision Dial") and the 1500iD Speed Dial Set-Your-Own-Combination Lock ("Speed Dial") can be purchased on Amazon.com and from retailers nationwide for a suggested retail price of $7.99 and $8.99, respectively.
Master Lock has generously agreed to send one lucky US or Canadian winner his or her own set of Precision Dial and Speed Dial locks (ARV $17)! Thanks, Master Lock!
Mandatory Entry (Must be completed before any other entries will qualify!)
- Publicly follow Twee Poppets with Google Friend Connect. (Click the "Follow" button under the "Followers" section at the top of the main page.)
Bonus Entries (Please leave a separate comment for each entry! If it's worth 3 entries, please leave 3 separate comments!)
- 3 Extra Entries (Leave 3 Comments): Subscribe to Twee Poppets via email (must be activated to count). (Enter your email address under the "Subscribe Via Email!" section on the left hand side of the main page and click the "Subscribe" button.)
- 1 Extra Entry: Visit http://www.masterlock.com/ and tell me something you learned OR another product you would like to try.
- 1+ Extra Entry: Watch a Master Lock sweepstakes video and comment with the date of the video AND the Letter of the Day shown in that video. You may do this for up to five videos, for a total of up to five extra entries.
- 1+ Extra Entry: Enter another one of my current giveaways. You may have one extra entry PER contest entered (please leave a separate comment for each). This applies only to current giveaways. Giveaways that have already ended (before 9/4) do NOT count.
- 1 Extra Entry: Follow @TweePoppets on Twitter. (Include your Twitter ID with your entry.)
- 1+ Extra Entry: Tweet about this giveaway (may be done once daily for one entry per tweet). You may use this tweet: Set your own combo with Speed Dial and Precision Dial Master locks! Enter to win @TweePoppets. http://tinyurl.com/WinLocks (9/18) #giveaway
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Become a fan of ("like") Twee Poppets on Facebook. (Click this link or the button under the "Follow on Facebook!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Become a fan of ("like") Master Lock on Facebook. Leave a comment on their wall letting them know that Twee Poppets sent you! (You MUST comment on their wall, or this entry will not count!)
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Grab my button and add it to your blog or website. Let me know where I can find it! (Copy and paste the code that is in the "Grab My Button!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 3 Extra Entries (Leave 3 Comments): Blog about Twee Poppets. Leave a link to the blog entry in your comment. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blogs entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post). Please include a link to your blog post in your comment.
- 3 Extra Entries (Leave 3 Comments): Pledge to blog about what you won if you are the winner of this giveaway. This is based on the honor system - if you promise to blog if you win, please do. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blog entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post).
- 10 Extra Entries (Leave 10 Comments): Purchase a Master Lock brand lock between now and the end of this giveaway. Please note that if you win, I WILL ask for proof of purchase (confirmation email, photo of receipt, etc.).
Contest will end at 11:59pm PST on September 18, 2010. Winner will be chosen via random number generator. Winner will be contacted by me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and will have 48 hours to respond before he or she forfeits the prize and a new winner is chosen. Open to mailing addresses in the US and Canada only.