I recently had a chance to review a few amazing products from Powermat. They sent me the Home & Office Mat, the Portable Mat, two Nintendo DS Lite receivers, and two iPod receivers to review free of charge. I have been absolutely blown away by the quality of these products!
I have a lot of wonderful things to say about the Powermat system, so I think the best way to get my point across is to break my review into several sections.
How It Works
How Do You Know It's Working?
When you place a device on the Powermat to charge, you will feel a magnet will gently pull it to the correct position, hear an activation sound, and see a small charging light turn on; when the charge is broken, the light turns off and a slightly different sound is made. If you decide you don't like the sound or light the Powermat makes, you can either turn them down or turn them off entirely. When charging, you will also see the normal indicators your device displays, so there will be no confusion as to whether or not it is charging correctly.
My Powermat has made my life so much easier! It really is as simple as setting the device on the mat and forgetting about it. I was worried that hooking the devices up to the receivers might be a pain, but it couldn't be easier. I received receivers for the iPod and Nintendo DS Lite. The iPod receivers are small docks that can remain on the Powermat, and the Nintendo DS Lite receiver slides right onto the system. You can even leave the Nintendo DS Lite receiver on the system while you play; I personally prefer to remove it while I'm using the system, but this isn't a problem because it takes literally only two seconds for me to hook up the receiver.
When I first learned how the Powermat works, I immediately wondered, "is that safe?" I was concerned about what would happen if I stood over it, touched my hand to it, or placed non-enabled electronics on it. Could the power source harm me or my belongings? I was so relieved to learn that the Powermat is completely safe! Unless the item you place on the mat is hooked up to a receiver, the system is passive and nothing happens at all. It's also completely safe for all the devices that you do charge, and will not adversely impact their battery life in any way whatsoever. And since the Powermat uses only one electrical cord, it reduces the risks associated with overloading power strips that can come with independently charging multiple devices at once, as well as reducing children's interaction with electrical outlets. So not only is the Powermat safe in and of itself, it may actually make your home a safer place overall!
Design and Style
The Powermat is not at all bulky like some electronics. The design is sleek, stylish, lightweight, and surprisingly thin - in fact, it's even thinner than the small devices I charge on it! The black and silver coloring is modern and it blends in well with the rest of my furniture and appliances. I have my Powermat proudly displayed right on top of my TV stand in the living room, which not only makes it extremely convenient to charge my electronics, but also adds a touch of style to my living space!
It's not often that product packaging is very noteworthy, but in this case, it's actually worth mentioning! Everything has its place and is easy to see and get to. Unlike some other packaging, where you have to fight to get the product out, the Powermat and its accessories can be retrieved without a fuss - there are even tabs you can pull to pop certain items right out! Plus, the Portable Mat comes with a convenient travel case and the Powercube tips come with their own storage case, so everything can stay together in one place.
I've had too many disappointments with electronics - usually, when something sounds too good to be true, it is. Sometimes new technology doesn't work like it's supposed to, or it just doesn't work at all. That's why I was so happy to find that the Powermat operates absolutely perfectly. I didn't even have to tinker with anything - it just works. Nothing feels flimsy or cheap, and I can tell my Powermat products are going to last for a long time!
Energy-wise, the Powermat is very efficient, abiding by the highest power standards (Energy Star 5). It charges your devices as fast or even faster than the cords they came with! When the device is completely charged, the Powermat will stop sending power, so you never have to worry about wasting energy. Who knew that this piece of technology could be so green?
It was honestly difficult for me to think of any reasons not to love the Powermat. However, one thing I noticed is that sliding the Nintendo DS Lite receiver off can sometimes hit the system's power button and turn the power on or off - so make sure you've saved your progress! Also, more receivers and Powercube Tips would be a welcome addition. For example, the Powercube has a tip for Samsung devices, but it doesn't fit my Samsung cell phone (my boyfriend says that Samsung is notoriously bad about cord compatibility). I know that adding more receivers and Powercube Tips is on Powermat's to-do list, so it looks like things will just be getting better and better!
I haven't been this impressed by an electronic product in a long time. My Powermats have become such a part of my daily routine that I can hardly believe I ever lived without them! They truly exceeded my highest expectations, and I give them my absolute highest recommendation. Powermat products would make a wonderful gift for any lucky recipient - including yourself!
You can purchase a variety of Powermat products online at Powermat.com, as well as in stores nationwide. The Portable Mat and the Home & Office Mat each retail for $100. Each receiver retails for $30-40. Powermat offers free ground shipping on all orders over $50. Plus, Powermat is offering Twee Poppets readers 20% off their entire purchase - at check out, just enter the code you see in the gray box on the coupon below! Good until September 15, 2010.
Powermat has generously agreed to send one lucky US or Canadian winner one Home & Office Mat along with the winner's choice of up to three receivers. That makes this prize worth up to $220! WOW! Thanks, Powermat!
Please be sure to leave your email address in at least one entry; I will do my best to find your email address if you're the winner, but if I have no way to contact you, you cannot win! For complete giveaway rules, please see the "Giveaways" section under the "The Fine Print" page. Winning entries WILL be checked to ensure qualification, so please be honest! :)
Mandatory Entry (Must be completed before any other entries will qualify!)
- Publicly follow Twee Poppets with Google Friend Connect AND subscribe to Twee Poppets via email (must be activated to count). (This counts for ONE entry only, please.)
Bonus Entries (Please leave a separate comment for each entry! If it's worth 3 entries, please leave 3 separate comments!)
- 1 Extra Entry: Visit Powermat.com and tell me which 3 receivers you might choose if you are the winner.
- NEW!!! 1 Extra Entry: "Vote up" this giveaway on Prizey. Just click the heart icon that says "Vote up" and confirm your vote - easy! This entry will only be available until this giveaway is chosen as an Editor's Pick, so hurry!
- 1+ Extra Entry: Enter another one of my current giveaways. You may have one extra entry PER contest entered (please leave a separate comment for each). This applies only to current giveaways - giveaways that have already ended (before 8/2) do NOT count.
- 1 Extra Entry: Follow @TweePoppets on Twitter. (Include your Twitter ID with your entry.) Psssst! I'll follow you right back! :)
- 1 Extra Entry: Follow @Powermat on Twitter. (Include your Twitter ID with your entry.)
- 1+ Extra Entry: Tweet about this giveaway (may be done once daily for one entry per tweet). You may use this tweet: Win a Powermat & 3 receivers (ARV $220)! Charge your devices WIRELESSLY! Enter @TweePoppets: http://tinyurl.com/WinPM (Ends 8/23) #Giveaway
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Become a fan of ("like") Twee Poppets on Facebook. (Click this link or the button under the "Follow on Facebook!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Become a fan of ("like") Powermat on Facebook. Leave a comment on their wall letting them know that Twee Poppets sent you! (You MUST comment on their wall, or this entry will not count!)
- 2 Extra Entries (Leave 2 Comments): Grab my button and add it to your blog or website. Let me know where I can find it! (Copy and paste the code that is in the "Grab My Button!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 5 Extra Entries (Leave 5 Comments): Blog about Twee Poppets and this giveaway. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blog entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post).
- 10 Extra Entries (Leave 10 Comments): Make a purchase from Powermat.com. If given the opportunity during checkout (notes to seller, etc.), be sure to say that Twee Poppets sent you! And please note that if you win, I WILL ask for proof of purchase (confirmation email, etc.).
Contest will end at 11:59pm PST on August 23, 2010. Winner will be chosen via random number generator. Winner will be contacted by me (email@example.com) and will have 48 hours to respond before he or she forfeits the prize and a new winner is chosen. Open to mailing addresses in the US and Canada only.