Please introduce yourself and your shop.
My name is Sarah and my shop is www.Sewnbysarah.etsy.com I specialize in machine embroidered items and hand sewn items.
How did your business get its start?
In 2008 I left my job to stay home with my kids. I wanted to find a way to do my hobby, yet have a little extra income. I have been sewing for several years and many of my friends started encouraging me that I should start selling the car seat covers that I make. I heard about Etsy from a friend and it sounded like the perfect outlet for me to use to sell my projects. I also received an embroidery machine as a gift from my husband and thought that embroidered goods would be a perfect compliment to my hand sewn items. So, in summer 2009 I opened up my Etsy shop.
What is your personal favorite item in your shop?
I love my infant car seat covers. I make them for all of my friends when they have babies and made my own for my babies when they were each born. They are so warm, and everywhere I go, I get complements on them.
What is your favorite crafty activity? Are there any particular crafts you'd love to learn?
Honestly, my favorite crafty activity is probably scrapbooking, I just don't get enough time to do it with my one year old. I would LOVE to learn to crochet. I can knit, but have not learned to crochet yet.
What do you love to do? What makes you smile?
I love to spend time with my kids. My kids make me smile every day. I am so thankful to have a job that let's me be with them.
Is there anything else you'd like to share with us?
I love working with people on custom orders. I think it is so fun to help others make their visions come to life. I have created custom bibs, towels, Halloween costumes, rag quilts, and t-shirts for people. If you have an idea, I would love to help you make it a reality. Look at the sold orders on my site and you can see some of my previous creations.
I chose the green color for my Nerdling bib, because it just seems the most tech-y (and so, fitting to the nerd theme!) to me, but Sarah has a wide range of colors available in her shop (pink, blue, purple, orange, green, yellow, and turquoise), so you're sure to find the perfect color for your little nerdling.
I just love this bib. Not only is it hilarious, it's also very well-made and practical. It's made of an absorbent terrycloth material, which, as anyone who has ever fed a baby can tell you, is very important in a bib! This bib sops up liquid like a sponge, which is wonderful because it keeps messy pureed foods from sliding right off the bib and onto baby's pants - and the fabric is double-layered, which helps ensure that they won't soak through to baby's shirt, either. Best of all, once your little messy eater has made his mark on this bib, you can toss it right into the washing machine for easy clean-up! (In the second photo below, I have pulled apart the front and back of the bib to show that there are two layers.)
This bib is also sewn quite sturdily. It has been stitched all around the outside edge and the "Nerdling" embroidery goes all the way through to the back of the two layers of fabric. The bib has a Velcro closure, which is also well-sewn and makes putting on and taking off this bib a breeze, even when you have a squirmy baby on your hands. The scalloped detailing all around the edges of this bib really adds a cute touch and makes it stand out from the rest. (The first photo below is a view of the back of the bib, to show that the embroidery goes through both layers of fabric.)
Overall, I adore this bib and can't recommend it highly enough! It even gets the seal of approval from the cutest little nerdling in my life: my cat, Bowser!
You can purchase the Nerdling bib from the SewnBySarah Etsy shop for just $3.50! Wow! Sarah also offers a variety of other baby bibs, as well as lots of other great items.
Sarah has generously offered to send one US winner a Nerdling bib in the winner's choice of yellow, green, orange, or purple. Thanks, Sarah!
Please be sure to leave your email address in at least one entry (preferably all entries); I will do my best to find your email address if you're the winner, but if I have no way to contact you, you cannot win! For complete giveaway rules, please see the "Giveaways" section under the "The Fine Print" page. Winning entries WILL be checked to ensure qualification, so please be honest! :)
Mandatory Entry (Must be completed before any other entries will qualify!)
- Visit the SewnBySarah Etsy shop and tell me what color of bib you will choose if you are the winner!
Bonus Entries (Please leave a separate comment for each entry! If it's worth 3 entries, please leave 3 separate comments!)
- 2 Extra Entries: Publicly follow Twee Poppets with Google Friend Connect. (Click the "Follow" button under the "Followers" section at the top of the main page.)
- 3 Extra Entries: Subscribe to Twee Poppets via email (must be activated to count). (Enter your email address under the "Subscribe Via Email!" section on the left hand side of the main page and click the "Subscribe" button.)
- 1 Extra Entry: Add SewnBySarah as a favorite shop on Etsy.
- 1 Extra Entry: Mark your 3 favorite SewnBySarah listings as favorites on Etsy.
- 1 Extra Entry: Follow @TweePoppets on Twitter. (Include your Twitter ID with your entry.)
- 1 Extra Entry: Tweet about this giveaway (may be done once daily for one entry per tweet). You may use this tweet: Win a Nerdling bib from the SewnBySarah Etsy shop! Enter to win @TweePoppets: http://tiny.cc/WinNerdling (Ends 6/8)
- 2 Extra Entries: Become a fan of ("like") Twee Poppets on Facebook. (Click this link or the button under the "Follow on Facebook!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 2 Extra Entries: Grab my button and add it to your blog or website. Let me know where I can find it! (Copy and paste the code that is in the "Grab My Button!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 3 Extra Entries: Blog about Twee Poppets. Leave a link to the blog entry in your comment. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com) and the SewnBySarah Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewnbysarah). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blogs entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post). Please include a link to your blog post in your comment.
- 3 Extra Entries: Pledge to blog about what you won if you are the winner of this giveaway. This is based on the honor system - if you promise to blog if you win, please do. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com) and the SewnBySarah Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewnbysarah). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blog entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post).
- 10 Extra Entries: Make a purchase from the SewnBySarah Etsy shop. Be sure to let Sarah know that Twee Poppets sent you!
Contest will end at 11:59pm PST on June 8th, 2010. Winner will be chosen via random number generator. Winner will be contacted by me (email@example.com) and will have 48 hours to respond before he or she forfeits the prize and a new winner is chosen. Open to mailing addresses in the US only.