A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to win a doll and dress from the Aw-KinaSew'N' Etsy shop, through a giveaway posted on the wonderful Special in His Sight Review and Giveaway blog. I contacted Keisha from Aw-KinaSew'N' about doing a review and giveaway, and was delighted to hear that she was interested! Before we get started, let's get to know Keisha a bit better!
Please introduce yourself and your shop.
My name is Keisha and my shop is Aw-KinaSewN93
How did you decide on your shop name? What does it mean?
I chose that name because it represent what I do, All Kind of Sewing.
How did your business get its start?
I went to a craft fair in 2008 and one of my customers suggested Etsy to me.
What is your personal favorite item in your shop?
I'm partial to everything I do but, I would have to say the activity book.
What do you love to do? What makes you smile?
I love to sew. Having fun makes me smile.
I was so excited to win this giveaway! Keisha sent me a soft rag doll that came wearing a little pink dress, as well as a dress for a little girl (size 3/4) that matches the doll's dress.
The contents of my prize package arrived with a slight perfumey scent, perhaps from being washed in scented laundry detergent; I found the smell to be pleasant, but if you or your baby are sensitive to scented products or perfumes, you may want to talk to Keisha about eliminating the perfumey scent before ordering an item from her.
Anyway, overall, I'm really pleased with my prize! I love how well the doll is made: it's stitched very securely and stuffed just the right amount with what seems to be polyfill. The hair doesn't pull out like some yarn-based doll hair tends to do; it is reliably sewn to the doll's head, which can be seen if the hair is pulled back from the forehead (see photo below). What really strikes me, though, is the doll's form; it's very impressive how there is actually a realistic shape to the doll's arms and legs, instead of simple straight lines. (The heels are a little pointy, but it's nothing that would bother a kid.)
My only major complaint is with the doll's face. To put it delicately, it's...not to my taste. It has been applied with fabric paint (I would have much preferred it to be stitched on) and the "whites" of the eyes are somewhat yellowish, which makes it looks a tad bit creepy, to be honest. The cheeks are also yellowish, and there is a sizable splotch of the same yellowish color right above the mouth, which appears to have been done by mistake. There is also a small pink tongue sticking out of the mouth, which I find somewhat distracting, and the doll's expression is just a little weird overall. I'm thinking about appliqueing over the face altogether, which would be an easy fix and make this doll just about perfect. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not a big fan of this doll's face - but I want to make it clear that this is just a personal preference, and you may feel differently.
On a brighter note, the doll's dress is made wonderfully. It's well-assembled and there is some lovely detailing near the neckline. A terrific feature is that the doll's dress can easily be removed and interchanged with one of Aw-KinaSew'N's other cute dresses (sold separately). There is a Velcro closure on the back of the dress, which makes it very easy to put on and take off, even for little fingers.
The matching dress for a little girl is also great. The cotton fabric is pink with purple and white flowers, sewn with coordinating purple thread - I tend to go for bolder, more modern patterns, but there is something very sweet and classic about this feminine dress. The material is a little on the thin side (see photo below), so it might be best for your little one to wear it with something underneath. It is a pillowcase dress and the shoulders are tied with lovely matching purple ribbon; I absolutely love the ribbon ties!
I love that Keisha sent me the dress in a size 3/4, because by the time a girl is old enough to wear this size, she'll be old enough to realize that she and her doll have the same dress. Imagine how excited a little girl would be to have a matching outfit with her dolly! And think of the opportunity for cute photos! That's my favorite thing about this combo.
You should definitely check out all that Keisha has to offer at the Aw-KinaSew'N' Etsy shop! Here are a few of her other great items:
You can purchase a wide range of wonderful products at the Aw-KinaSew'N' Etsy shop for great prices every day. A doll similar to the one I received is just $12.50, while dresses for little girls will run you about $10-15.
Keisha of Aw-KinaSew'N' has very generously agreed to send one lucky winner the winner's choice of ANY one item from her Etsy shop! Wow! This contest is open worldwide, so everyone should be sure to enter! Thank you, Keisha!
Please be sure to leave your email address in at least one entry (preferably all entries); I will do my best to find your email address if you're the winner, but if I have no way to contact you, you cannot win! For complete giveaway rules, please see the "Giveaways" section under the "The Fine Print" page. Winning entries WILL be checked to ensure qualification, so please be honest! :)
Mandatory Entry (Must be completed before any other entries will qualify!)
- Visit the Aw-KinaSew'N' Etsy shop and tell me what item you might choose if you are the winner!
Bonus Entries (Please leave a separate comment for each entry!)
- 2 Extra Entries: Publicly follow Twee Poppets with Google Friend Connect. (Click the "Follow" button under the "Followers" section at the top of the main page.)
- 3 Extra Entries: Subscribe to Twee Poppets via email (must be activated to count). (Enter your email address under the "Subscribe Via Email!" section on the left hand side of the main page and click the "Subscribe" button.)
- 1 Extra Entry: Add AwkinaSewN93 as a favorite shop on Etsy.
- 1 Extra Entry: Mark your 3 favorite AwkinaSewN93 listings as favorites on Etsy.
- 1 Extra Entry: Follow @TweePoppets on Twitter. (Include your Twitter ID with your entry.)
- 1 Extra Entry: Tweet about this giveaway (may be done once daily for one entry per tweet). You may use this tweet: Win ANY ITEM from the AwkinaSewN93 Etsy shop! Enter to win @TweePoppets: http://tinyurl.com/WinAwkina
- 2 Extra Entries: Become a fan of ("like") Twee Poppets on Facebook. (Click this link or the button under the "Follow on Facebook!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 2 Extra Entries: Grab my button and add it to your blog or website. Let me know where I can find it! (Copy and paste the code that is in the "Grab My Button!" section on the left hand side of the main page.)
- 3 Extra Entries: Blog about Twee Poppets. Leave a link to the blog entry in your comment. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com) and the AwkinaSewN93 Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/awkinasewn93). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blogs entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post). Please include a link to your blog post in your comment.
- 3 Extra Entries: Pledge to blog about what you won if you are the winner of this giveaway. This is based on the honor system - if you promise to blog if you win, please do. Please be sure to mention this giveaway and link back to Twee Poppets (http://tweepoppets.blogspot.com) and the AwkinaSewN93 Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/awkinasewn93). Your blog must have at least 10 followers on Google Friend Connect to be eligible. Blog entries must be at least 50 words long to count; must be a dedicated post (not just part of another post).
- 10 Extra Entries: Make a purchase from the AwkinaSewN93 Etsy shop. Be sure to let Keisha know that Twee Poppets sent you!
Contest will end at 11:59pm PST on May 17th, 2010. Winner will be chosen via random number generator. Winner will be contacted by me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and will have 48 hours to respond before he or she forfeits the prize and a new winner is chosen. Open to mailing addresses worldwide.